Are we moving too slowly and erratically?

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Retired energy analyst and member of the Madison Peak Oil Group, David Knuti sent the letter below to the Wisconsin State Journal in response to its call for readers to express their opinions on whether Congress should regulate fuel efficiency:

I devoutly hope that Congress finally sets ambitious fuel economy standards for the coming decade and begins the process of coming to terms with the 21st Century.

I only fear that we are moving too slowly and erratically for our own good. World oil demand is growing inexorably, and world production is now “stuck” with a crisis here and a crisis there, even through we have dodged the hurricane bullet for now.

And coming up behind us is Global Warming, which is affecting not only the polar bears on melting ice floes, but such people as Californians dealing with an a multi-year “perfect” drought and mega wild fires.

We fret about three-dollar-plus gas, but much of the world is already routinely coping with eight-dollar gas. As I ride along in my used Subaru “crossover” getting 24 mpg, I think I should do better, but it is hard to find solutions that do not cost an additional twenty thousand or so dollars. As a retiree, I do not bear the burden of a long commute, but I shudder for those trapped in our spread out society.

Americans are taught to look to the market place for available solutions to our problems and we find a way to make do with what is for sale. I expect my 35 mpg vehicle may be a little less versatile, comfortable and sexy, but I will learn to love it just the same.

0 comments: